Kleinhans Music Hall was designed to function as an orchestral concert hall, with an
oratorio-sized stage large enough to accomodate a full orchestra and a chorus of 300 voices.
It was not intended as a lyric theater for fully staged performances of opera, in that the
backstage has no available space for required sets. Nor is there a theater curtain, as required for
staging full opera productions.
However, the area backstage does hold several dressing rooms for conductors and soloists,
as well as administrative offices and the BPO library. There is also a large coffee lounge for
the players and individual lockers for each member of the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra. The
BPO has made its home in Kleinhans since the day the Hall opened on October 12, 1940.
Send email to the KMH Archive